Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"I have a dream"----What is your Character?

Martin Luther King Day, Written Sunday---
Earlier today after church my husband and I talked to our son , Joshua about his plans since there is no school on Martin Luther King Day. He'll be working and studying for midterms. I got wondering if sometimes special days slip by as just an extra day off without thought about what the day means. I began to think about Kings famous "I have a dream speech" and one line resounded in my spirit. " I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." I ask myself black, white, yellow, whatever color we are....looking to the truth of this statement would we be satisfied with the judgment of our character? I'm not talking about legalistic rules that bind us and take our freedom from us, but of choosing to do that wihich is right in God's eyes. I'm talking about choosing to walk in intergrity rather than the easy way which selfishly chooses that which helps our cause regardless of the effects on others. If people judged us upon our character would they find us honest and hardworking? Would they find us growing in the fruit of the Spirit and walking in the character of God? What steps are you taking this year to improve your godly character. What changes would you have to make if truly others judged us by our character rather than something as superficial as our color. Listen to the whole Martin Luther King speech with this link and ask the Lord to challenge you on this day of remembrance. http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment